In a world where we are always connected and almost 24-7 online, a so-called digital detox can be really refreshing (and pretty scary too!)
What does it mean?
Dis-connect from your devices. Emails, texting, social media. Leave it!
And although it sounds easy, if you are in a high pace environment where you are always (expected to be) online it can be pretty stressful to go into this detox.
However, giving your brain (and your loved ones) a moment to recharge, to think, to explore without a screen can be a great thing. And it will boost your creativity (and your relationships at the same time).
Why not use the holiday time for it? It makes things a lot easier!
Of course there are no rules for a digital detox. You can make your own. However, here are some tips to get the most out of it!
- make sure to inform your work/ colleagues/ business partner about your detox. Just going off line without any notice can cause some stressy situations. Tell them about it about a week before and and tell them to contact you before the detox starts with any urgent matters
- make sure you have back up arranged. Somebody who checks e-mail , messages etc. You don’t want your company to miss that big opportunity because of your detox…..
- share your phone number (and/ or your partners number) in case of an emergency. And also tell them to only use it in case of a REAL emergency….
- don’t take your devices with you all the time during the detox. You can’t use them anyway so you are only making it harder for yourself if you have them with you all the time
- You can go hard core by giving your phone to somebody during the detox or you can go for a milder version for example to put it on flight modus so you can still use it to take photos
- choose the period of the detox wisely. If you have big deadlines coming up it doesn’t make much sense to go into a detox. It will only stress you out. Also choose the amount of days. 1 day, 4 days, one week, your whole holiday?
- make yourself accountable: tell people about it! That way there is no way back…..
Enjoy the freedom!